Nina Out and About contains affiliate links and is a member of the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. If you make a purchase using one of these Amazon links, I may receive compensation at no extra cost to you. See my Disclosure Policy for more information.
Looking for the best travel tea kettle? If you are an avid traveler and tea-lover (who isn’t?!) you’ll love this post full of the most incredible tea kettles to get you a cup, and so much more, on the go.
We’ll cover everything from why you need one (hint: you do 😉), to the features to look for in one, to how to get it to all the amazing places you’ll go with you.
You’ll never again have to forego your morning cup of tea or a quick meal just because you’re on the go once you have one of these easy-to-store travel tea kettles in hand.
I can’t wait to see which one you choose and where it goes with you!
|Kettle||Ratings||Size||Dual Voltage||Foldable||Best For|
|Yes||Yes||Best for Air Travel|
|No||No||Made of Stainless Steel|
|No||No||Rapid Boiling Speed|
|No||No||Best Portable Kettle and Thermos 2-in-1|
|No||No||Best for Families|
|Yes||No||Road trips & car camping|
|No||Yes||Sturdy, Foldable Design|
Why You Need a Small Travel Kettle
Beyond the obvious reason, having a small travel kettle with you means making more than just tea on the go! You can do everything in these: instant tea, coffee, noodles, and warm water whenever and wherever you need. Have you ever heard of something so convenient? As an avid traveler myself, I can’t recommend getting one enough.
Things to Consider with Travel Kettles
- Weight and Size
- Boiling Time
- If It’s Collapsible
- Safety Features
- Additional Features
- If It’s a Good Travel Kettle for Cars
15 Best Travel Tea Kettles
This small travel kettle folds all the way down to a flat disc! And has a detachable, ergonomic handle, cord, and comes with its own carrying case. It’s no wonder this kettle has a 4.5-star rating on Amazon – talk about easy storage and packing for travel!
As an added bonus, it’s a dual voltage travel kettle, so it can be used all over the world.
- 3-5 minute boil time
- Easy to operate with a one-button design
- Automatically rewarms water
- No temperature display to know exactly how hot your water is
- If you prefer automatic shut-off the rewarming feature may not be appealing
- Some found that the silicone had an odor when first taken out of the packaging
This easily portable kettle has a sleek, modern design. With a handle that folds over the top of the unit, and the ability to plug in anywhere without an adapter, this collapsible kettle with a 4.5-star rating on Amazon is one you won’t want to miss out on.
- Has boil-dry protection
- Multifunctional: tea, coffee, baby bottles, etc.
- Uses minimal power (great for RVing!)
- Can boil over if filled past max line
- No temperature display to know exactly how hot your water is
- Does not have detachable cord
This mini travel kettle is adorable! It comes in a variety of colors, and even though it’s cute, it doesn’t skimp on functionality. With a 4.5 star rating, this little kettle will be your best buddy in hotel rooms or a hostel stay for making tea, coffee, instant noodles, and warming milk or cereal.
- Interior is food-grade stainless steel for ultimate safety
- Large opening makes for easy cleaning
- Exterior stays cooler than other kettles
- Can trip a GFC
- No automatic shut-off
- For some, it stopped working fairly quickly after purchasing
This stainless steel travel kettle has multiple settings, so you can tailor it to do exactly what you need at low, high, or boiling! It has a .6L capacity and detachable lid and power cord, making it perfect for taking with you on the go. With a 4.5 star rating on Amazon, this is a great choice as your travel tea kettle.
- Cool to the touch on the outside
- Heats up quickly and quietly
- Low wattage and quick boil
- Can only boil water (not recommended for other uses)
- May need an adapter for the plug
- May eventually show rust spots
This lightweight kettle is perfect for brewing your morning coffee or tea instantly and gets a 4 star rating on Amazon.
It’s great for travel because it fits in the waterbottle pocket of most bags and backpacks due to not having a handle. You can also fill it with water before you head out the door, so you’re all set when you reach your destination!
- Safety delay before you can use again to ensure it doesn’t overheat
- Doubles as a thermos
- Boils water in just a minute or two!
- No handle
- More expensive than some of the larger capacity kettles
- The instructions say to boil without the lid on (could pose safety issues with families)
This is the first option with a retractable cord on the list, which is something I love about it! With 4 stars on Amazon, this travel water kettle has a foldable handle for easy storage and wouldn’t take up a lot of room when staying in a hotel or on the kitchen counters in an RV.
- Automatic shut-off feature
- Boils water quickly
- Easy to clean
- Extremely short cord
- Cord is sometimes difficult to get back out after retracting
- Need a converter for some travel (comes with a standard plug for use in the US)
While this isn’t technically an electric travel kettle, it’ll get the job done of heating up your water or beverage and take up such minimal room when packing, you won’t even know it’s there!
With 4.5 stars on Amazon, this little gadget can’t be beat as it is ideal for heating up water, coffee, soup, and everything in between.
This is a must-have for any budget-conscious traveler who wants to be able to heat up soup and ramen on the go to save a few dollars, or to put their money to good use seeing the amazing sights!
- So easy to pack
- Clips to the side of most glass or steel cups
- Heats super fast
- Can be a little tricky to get the hang of as it needs to be immersed when plugging in and unplugging
- Needing a separate cup
- Need a place to set it down after removing it from your cup or mug as it will be hot
With a 4.5 star rating on Amazon, and the ability to fit right in your cupholder this certainly makes it into the running for best travel kettle.
- LCD Temperature Display
- Ability to set it so food or drink stays at an exact temperature
- Antispill technology
- More expensive than a lot of other options on the list
- Takes longer to boil (16-20 mins)
- Wait time after boiling before opening the cap until water temperature drops below 90 degrees
Throw a foldable travel kettle in your bag and you’ll never have to worry about if you travel accommodations have a coffee maker again! This one is highly rated with 4.5 stars on Amazon and comes in a fun variety of colors.
- Detachable Power Cord
- Easily fits in most bags
- Fast boiling at around 5 minutes
- Silicone sides can buckle when pouring hot water because of foldability
- Some have had issues with the automatic shut off
- Lid can get very hot (though you shouldn’t need to touch it)
This electric tea kettle has some super important features you won’t want to miss out on like six different temperature settings for any of the tasks you might ask of it like: boiling, keep warm, bottle warmer, coffee/tea, boiled egg, and dechlorination.
It gets 4.5 stars on Amazon and is priced well for all the functionality it has. I love the large LCD display for showing the exact temperature from the interior sensor.
- Can also be used for food (like boiling eggs!)
- Handle stays in place even when collapsed
- Comes with its own storage bag
- Need to push multiple buttons to get water started boiling
- Cord is on the shorter side
- Getting it open to full height takes a little “oomph”
Another travel water kettle with a fabulous 4.5 star rating on Amazon. This one touts a speed boil feature and because it heats so fast also has an automatic reheat feature. The ability to fold to multiple sizes makes it the perfect travel companion.
- 5 minutes to a full boil
- Smaller footprint than most foldable kettles
- Only for boiling water
- Cord doesn’t store inside the kettle
- Location of the power button is odd to some
This is one of the few electric tea kettles for travel that has specific water temperature control, and the temperature reading is very accurate.
It also has a hold feature that you can keep water at a specific temperature for up to two hours, also earring it a 4.5 star rating on Amazon. This is gold while traveling and wanting a hot cuppa!
- Gooseneck spout allows for maximum safety and premium taste
- Heat-resistant handle
- Larger capacity at .8L
- Takes up far more space than most of the other kettles with separate pot and base
- Lowest temperature is 100 degrees Fahrenheit
- Fill line can be hard to see
13. Aigostar Juliet
This little pot is so cute! It makes the list for best travel tea kettle as it is BPA-free and fits a full liter inside! It is both super easy to clean and fill with its wide opening. It has quite a few features that the others on this list don’t, so check out those pros below!
Boasting a 4.5 star rating on Amazon for good reason, this is a travel tea kettle you won’t want to miss out on.
- Indicator window for viewing water level
- Removable filter in the spout
- Boils a full liter in 5 minutes
- Heavier than some other travel kettles at a full pound
- Can become discolored on the bottom if not cleaned properly
- No keep warm feature
For such a small kettle, this one has so many features! It’s no wonder it has a 4.5 star rating on Amazon.
The LED light indicates the water temperature with blue, orange, and red for various temperatures. It also has specific coffee, tea, and keep warm modes.
- Anti-limescale coating to prevent odors
- Do not need to open lid while heating
- Easy to operate with just one button
- No handle
- Has to stay plugged in to work, which may not work for camping
- Heavy at 1.5 pounds
This kettle is the most traditional looking as it rounds out my list for the best travel tea kettle.
At 4 starts on Amazon, this is one of the few kettles that will fit in the cup holder of your car, which is extremely convenient. It’d be a great gift for someone who travels by car a lot – and for even more of those great gift ideas, check out this post.
- Automatic power off
- 12 month warranty included
- Green and red indicator lights are easy to read and use, intuitive
- Takes 25 minutes to get water to 100 degrees Fahrenheit
- Gets hot to the touch on the outside
- Water can get trapped in the lid and drip
How to Use Your Portable Electric Kettle Abroad
Using your electric tea kettle abroad doesn’t need to be complicated! The only thing you need to keep in mind to make it work is that not all countries use the same type of outlet.
If you keep an international adapter in your bag, you shouldn’t have any issues being able to plug in your travel tea kettle to get your morning caffeine fix before heading out on all your adventures!
How to Pack Tea and Coffee for Travel
As long as you are carrying dry versions of tea and coffee, you should be in the clear!
Ground coffee or coffee beans are great as they can be kept sealed while you make your way through airport security or are throwing bags in your car or RV. Tea can be packed in leaf form or in tea bags, and you shouldn’t run into issues in most places.
Imagine being the most prepared traveler with coffee, tea, and instant meals on the go along with your best travel tea kettle. You’re all set!
Best Travel Tea Kettles FAQ:
Can I travel on a plane with an electric kettle?
Yes, you can carry these in your carry on bag! This is exciting news. While you may get some questions or a second look into your bag when making your way through security, it is perfectly safe to carry your electric kettle with you on a plane. So, don’t let air travel stop you from purchasing one!
What size travel kettle should I look for?
While this will vary greatly by your individual needs, one with a 1.7-liter capacity is a safe bet as it heats up really quickly. Kettles of this smal size also usually have drip-free pouring so even if you have an unsteady hand as you are just waking up, you can still enjoy to the fullest!
Can you get a 12v travel kettle?
Yes! Woohoo! This kettle, from the list above, is 12v and the specs are as follows:
Material: Stainless Steel
As you know I already highly recommended this one, so this is an added bonus that it also has this particular feature! Plug it right into the cigarette lighter of your car, and off you go.
What voltage is a travel kettle?
Alright tea lovers, travel kettles are available in 12, 110, 120, 125, 220, and 240 volts. With so many different options, you’ll need to do a bit of research as to the travel kettle that will work best for your needs. The great news is I have no doubt you can find exactly what you need!
How Often Should I Clean My Travel Kettle?
Make sure to descale every four to eight weeks this will ensure there’s no build up (yuck) in there. To clean it, simply grab a bottle of vinegar and bring to a boil. Allow the boiled vinegar water mixture to sit in the kettle for 15 or 20 minutes. Pour out the mixture and rinse the kettle.
How to Store a Small Electric Kettle for Travel?
So, you know you can pop this in a carry on, so it should fit into all your travel bags! The central unit can go in the largest part of your bag while the lid, base, and cord of a collapsible or detachable kettle can live in the smaller pockets where you have some extra room.
What is the Best Travel Electric Bottle for RVing?
One that is small enough to comfortably fit in the kitchen space! This kettle, from the list above is perfect for small space living and RV trips. This kettle has an automatic shut-off feature, foldable handle, and retractable cord making it perfect for your RV’s compact kitchen. As a bonus, it’s easy to use and clean!
Conclusion: Which Travel Kettle Is The Best For You?
With so many wonderful options for the best travel kettle in 2022, it’s hard to go wrong. You’ll need to evaluate the types of trips your taking- are you mostly going by plane? Are you living out of your RV and camping? Are you going to have access to electricity?
Once you’ve thought through what’s most important to you, you are sure to find the best travel tea kettle to suit your needs. I’ve used a few in my travels and can tell you that I feel like I can no longer live without one!
I’m sure once you purchase yours, you’ll feel exactly the same way!
- How to Plan a Road Trip: Best Road Trip Planning Tools & Apps
- 55+ Best Road Trip Gift Ideas for Car Travellers (2021)
- Is Booking.com Legit?: An Honest Review from a Long-Time User
- Skyscanner vs Google Flights: Which is Better for Finding Cheap Flights?
- 35 Pros and Cons of Living in the UK: Should You Move to England?
- 11 Best Portable Blenders for Travel (2023 Guide)
- 7 Best Suitcases for Moving Abroad (2023 Guide)